Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 8, 2014

We're off!

I started a new adventure in teaching English this week as mine has become an iPad Academy classroom. With the help of BPS technology guru Ann Feldman, all five of my classes did work this week on the iPads. Together with Ann, I decided I would like to try the shared model with the 30 devices issued to me. That means that all 127 students will be using the Apple devices everyday in class but not checking them out to take them home with them.

It's been challenging to say the least. Have I learned a lot? Indeed. Some students are excited to use technology, but surprisingly some are not. We are finding out that the technology of using a smartphone doesn't necessarily translate into using Google and the iPads. Again, with Ann's help, I managed to teach four different lessons in four days to three classes of seniors and two lessons in three days to two classes of seniors. It's not easy. I'm still trying to get my head around a new way of thinking, not to substitute the device for the usual lessons but to think of ways to transform the classroom where technology will allow for the "creation of new tasks" previously unimaginable in the classroom (BPS Apple Foundations Training mantra).

So far, the "wins" have been small ones. Five or six students previously chiefly disengaged in learning all did something on the iPad lesson each day. One student who said he couldn't work in GoogleDocs admitted it was "easier to do it this way." And I have all 60-some vocabulary quizzes graded with the push of a couple of buttons! Only a few selfies on the camera rolls--two devices with the apps re-arranged into a single folder.

Reflecting on the first week--I'd have to admit it is hard, stressful work. Everyday it felt like I was starting research all over again. Anyone who has taken a class to a computer lab to work on research understands this feeling. It's overwhelming because even the days with three of us adults in the classroom, there weren't enough of us to help everyone at the same time. Fortunately, I have a few "experts" in each class who can help others through the glitches, true problem-solvers.

Maybe it's the pioneer spirit in me. Maybe it's the rebel. But nonetheless, I'm already looking forward to see what next week will bring.


No comments:

Post a Comment